01 October 2017

Sunday Shape-Up Series : The Start

Hello there!  Happy October 1st, a day which is a good one as far as I'm concerned.  It's the start of the  months where (at least theoretically) heat and humidity leave the area, leaves start to change, the weather is cool and crisp, and anticipation builds.  In our family, it's the start of what is known as the Birthday Marathon, since there are a ton of birthdays beginning today through December 31st.  October 1st marks the day I first became an aunt, at the age of 13, to my nephew Chad.  And this year, it's the "official" start of my Sunday Shape-Up Series. 

I'm hoping I'll do well with this.  I may not, and as long as I feel like I gave it a fair shot, I'll be able to live with that.  But I'm hoping it will help me get back to some things, start some new things, and start being mindful about life and the world around me again.  I'm hoping to turn some iffy habits back into good habits. 

In that vein, here are the things I would like to accomplish in the next week.

1.  I would like to exercise at least two days this week.  It doesn't have to mean going to the gym, rather I would be happy with two nice walks after dinner, or a nice leisurely walk on the weekend.  Cleaning up the garden would count, and I'm even hoping I can take a Pilates class, if not this coming week, at some point during the month.

2.  I want to write in my notebook at least twice this week.  Nothing elaborate, if I can jot down even three things that make me happy, or that I am grateful for, or even things that annoy me and need to be let go, that will count.

3.  I want to start knitting a pair of socks with this yarn.


I'm 99% decided on the pattern - well, I've at least narrowed it down to 2 choices ...

4.  I want to bake something.  I'm thinking a cake, since we are having a friend over for dinner on Friday, and her birthday was yesterday.  But we'll see what happens there.

5.  I want to make a special effort to keep myself on an even keel emotionally.  This week is one that I know will be particularly challenging (and not in a good way) at work, and I'm sure to have a hard time keeping it together.  But if I can work hard to stay even, it will be a huge help to my overall feeling about things.

There you go.  Nothing major, nothing drastic.  I want to start with things that are challenging but also achievable.  And if I am even just able to make one of them work, I'll count that as a win.

Let me know if you're gonna give anything a try.  I'll be back next week to give you a report on how well I did or did not do with my list.  In the meantime, I hope your week goes well.  :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in ...........my goal for this week - a healthy breakfast with no added sugar every day.

Good luck with your goals.

Fiona said...

I caught up with a ton of jobs at home yesterday which were long overdue. I emptied two kitchen cupboards, threw out a load of out of date dry stores (some three years old!) and wiped all the surfaces down. I did this in the bathroom too. I got rid of all the crap under my bed, and painted two photo frames to go with my current look. I also made my brother a birthday card and draughted a blog post for later this week. Phew! Oh and I hoovered all through the house.
It felt good.
Best of luck with your goals, hope work is not too onerous and you make a start with that gorgeous yarn.

Vera said...

Hi there Bridget, catching up on some blog posts. All of your goals seem reasonable and achievable - wishing you success with them. Of course, I'm in a whirlwind this week, so cannot think of any specific goals, but I like this idea and will plan to participate in the near future (when I'm out of the tornado and back into just gusty winds).

elns said...

Noble goals Bridget!

I really support the Pilates if you can make it. All activity is great, but I have actually ramped up my exercise and the Pilates and the swimming is just so much easier on my body. My knees and feet are forever grateful when I can afford to leave them alone a bit.

I love baking cake. It's been on my list for a month. I've had to toss buttermilk and sour cream, because I didn't get around to it. I'll join you in that goal this week. I like to make simple cakes, not decorative but rustic, tea cakes, coffee cakes, fruit cakes. I hope it brings us some joy.

I don't want to talk about even keel emotionally. I'm trying. That's all I got. LOL. I am trying this week to get back on my knitting track, not out of obligation, but because it makes me happy.