24 October 2017

Just Not What I Expected

Hi there!  Well, it's a gloomy day here in Philadelphia - as well as being ridiculously windy (or as the weather people say, "gusty"), we are supposed to get downpours this afternoon.  Other than walking home later today, I don't have to be out in it, so I'm not too disappointed that it's not a perfectly beautiful day.

Moving on from the weather, I wanted to talk about something that has struck me lately.  I read quite a few blogs about various topics, and for the most part, I enjoy them.  I like hearing several different voices talking about things like reading, cooking/baking, fitness, etc. because like the knitting blogs I read, everyone has something different to offer.  

But I have to say that the ones that puzzle me the most are the ones where every single day, there's a post showing what is called an "OOTD" - or Outfit Of The Day.  These are people who generally write about lifestyle - traveling, cooking, how they spend their spare time - you get it.  But they also have a photo - or 5 - of them wearing their OOTD.  

I "get" taking pictures of a recipe that you are making as you do it, and/or a shot of the final dish.  I also understand photos of things you saw/found/bought when you were out and about, particularly if it's something unusual, or if you got a good bargain.  I don't quite get taking a picture of yourself every day in what you are wearing.  That seems like a WHOLE LOT of work to me.  Granted, some of the photos are clearly snapshots using selfie sticks, but quite a few are like magazine modeled photo shoots.  Who takes these photos?  Who has time every day unless they do not have to work to organize the whole thing?  And who has a completely different outfit for every single day?  And by "outfit" I mean an organized, put together look, not the lazing-around-the-house clothes you change into when you get home from work.  (For me, even those "outfits" are not different every day!)

Now don't get me wrong, it's not that I disapprove of this practice.  I don't really care, and I've even been known to look at one and saying to myself that  "Oh yeah I never thought about wearing it that way."  I guess it's just not what I was expecting, since none of the blogs I follow are primarily fashion or style blogs.  


(Above image from the blog "What Katie Wore" which is no longer current.  But as you can see, Katie wore some interesting combos.  I actually kind of wish I'd known about this one, I think it would have been entertaining.)

I know a lot of people wear a "uniform" every day, in that they have some clothes that they have consciously purchased that all coordinate with each other, so that getting dressed for work is easy in the morning, and I actually can appreciate that.  I guess I just don't have the wearwithal or the desire to make an effort every day to create, wear, and photograph an "outfit."  

Do you do this at all?  And who *does* take the photos?  Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie from Inside Number 23 did a photo a day for "Me Made May". I get that. You show off complete outfits you have made.

But ....store bought clothes? Every day? I don't get it.

Mine would be darn boring --- black top, jeans, Clarks shoes, navy blue top, jeans, Clarks shoes, forever and ever and ever, Amen!

Tired Teacher said...

Hmm, I'm pretty sure Katie wouldn't be wearing that outfit in my area. Styles are VERY casual in my community.

Fiona said...

I follow Vronni's Style Meanderings, which shows how creative Veronica is with mainly charity shop bought garments and jewellery. She is not professionally styled or made up and this is precisely why I like her blog so much....she is an ordinary woman with a busy life. I hasten to add that she looks fantastic and I believe she either takes selfies or grandson does the honours...check her out.

Nance said...

I think some Style Blogs do it so that other people can see how to put together separates in a new and interesting way. Some people just don't have that creativity or Wardrobe Vision, and they wear the same stuff every day, crabbing that they Hate Their Clothes. Then they buy new stuff, wear it the same way, and it goes on and on.

I "dress up" every day, even though I'm retired and hang out at home each day. I don't photograph myself, but I understand why some style bloggers do this.

Needles and Wool said...

I loved reading your thoughts on this topic. I have not read many blogs like this myself because I am not THAT into fashion, but I have seen them and I think it is to show people different ideas but sometimes they aren't even that great. I agree with you that it is a lot of work! my sister is fashionable and wears nice clothes to work, but she wouldn't take a photo of herself everyday that does take a lot of time and effort.

Mereknits said...

Hmmmmm..... I have not seen this so am not on those blogs lists. What I can't understand is this time in our lives where everyone is so into photos of themselves, selfies and such. Maybe because I am ridiculously not photogenic, or maybe because I have no fashion sense at all I am just not into it all.