29 March 2014

Be Careful What You Wish For ...

Sigh.  That's what I have been telling myself all day.  Cold comfort, but the truth.

You may recall that I have ongoing issues with my hair and various stylists who have cut it.  Though I would love to have luxurious hair, I have very fine hair (thought lots of it), and I am too lazy to fool with it more than is absolutely necessary.  And once the weather gets hot, I can't stand to have it on my neck at all.

A few years ago, I got a cut that I absolutely loved.  I think it might have been one of the best haircuts of my life.  And it was one that apparently everyone else thought was a good one, too, as I always received compliments on it.  Basically, it was a messy pixie - meaning there was no specific part, and I didn't have to blow it dry.

But that place was really out of my way, and kind of a pain to get to, especially in the winter.  And the stylist stopped working on Saturdays, which limited me even more.  So I shopped around.

For the last year or so, I've been going to a place very close to my house.  It's nice, it's in the neighborhood, it's reasonably priced, and I really like my stylist.  She does a good job with cutting, and an awesome job at color.  Everyone in the salon is great.  My only complaint is that I could never get her to cut my hair as short as I'd like.

I ran into an acquaintance about a month ago, who told me that the person at the other place was going to be working on Saturdays in March, filling in for another stylist on maternity leave.  I gave it some thought, and devised a plan which I felt was *such* a good idea (which actually should have been a warning).  I decided to make an appt with her, and then when it was time for a "clean-up" I would go to my current stylist to show her what I meant, and we would all live happily ever after.  I talked to the girl who does appts at the current place, and she said no one would find that a problem, people do it a lot.

You know the result, right?  Well, to add insult to eventual injury, it was POURING this morning, so I had to trudge over in that.  Then the stylist was half an hour late (I was her first appt).  And when all was said and done, I ended up with a slightly longer haircut than a buzz cut.

I'm doing my best to look at the bright side: 1) my hair grows pretty quickly, so it should look at least a little better in a week or so, 2) when I go for my "clean up," it will hopefully be pretty much the way I want it to, so the current stylist will see what I mean, and, 3) it's convinced me once and for all to stay where I am.

In the meantime, I'll live.  But for about the millionth time in my life, a lesson has been learned.  I wish these lessons - once learned about one thing - would apply to all other things, so it would be done in one fell swoop.  But I'm pretty sure that would be too easy, and people would forget, or start ignoring the lessons.

As my sister would say, "White People Problems," and I agree, but I sure wish I didn't have to walk around with this haircut at all, even for another day ...

1 comment:

Kathleen Dames said...

Bummer! Sounds like it will grow to a happier length soon though.

I haven't gotten my hair cut in years, but it's feeling like time. I've pinned some cuts I like (collarbone length or so) and just have to figure out where I want to get it done. The place I've gone before is convenient, but it's not ... inspiring. But I fear that a cool NYC place will inspire all the $$ out of my wallet :)