25 February 2018

Pampering Myself on a Dreary Day

Today it is dreary, damp, and chilly.  I had some plans in my head, but when I woke up this morning, I just wasn't feeling them.  So I decided to pamper myself.

Now for a lot of people, this involves many products, many spa-like activities, etc.  However, I have neither the time nor the desire (or the $$$) for any of that, so I guess when I pamper myself, it's more low key.  But I'm the one doing it, so who cares what anyone else thinks?

I have been doing pretty well lately with my diet - meaning the food I am eating, not that I am on a diet, mind you.  I had gotten off track big-time, and it took me a bit to both motivate myself and also actually do what I wanted to get back to doing.  But I'm making progress, and I'm really proud of myself for that.  Now I need to be more regular with moving.  In that vein, I've signed up for a Beginner Pilates class next Saturday morning.  Hopefully that will get me back into the swing of things and I won't be as lazy.

Anyway.  After breakfast, I took a shower and washed my hair, and actually blow dried and styled it (as much as my hair ever  has a "style").  I usually air dry it, with mixed results - as in, sometimes it sticks up/out, and other times it's fine.  That was a boost.  While drying off, I realized with disgust that my feet were a mess!  Not that I have foot model feet, but it was clear I'd neglected things too long.  Then I thought about my hands, which are in sad shape as well.  When I get bored or nervous, I pick my cuticles, even to the point of bleeding - unless I've been taking care of my nails, and then I tend to leave them alone.  For the last month, I have filed any ragged nails that caught on things, but done nothing else.

The verdict:  I would let a professional handle things.  So I walked up the street to a nail salon, and was lucky because when I got there (with no appt), they had an opening.  Since I knew I'd still be wearing socks for the near future, I asked for a pedicure but not polish.  Which puzzled the person working with me, but she was very nice and thorough nonetheless.  It was pretty gross, and I gave her a big tip for her efforts.  My feet once again look like they belong to a human being.  Then she gave me a really good manicure, and hopefully I'll be back on track taking care of that again now, too.

(I tried to take a photo to show you how nice my hands look, but that was a no-go.   So you'll just have to take my word for it.)

The shade I chose for my fingernails is Essie Nail polish, Chinchilly (not my hands here):


I must say that now I feel quite glamorous.  :-)

On my way home, I decided that I wanted something else to treat myself.  So I stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts and got a coffee and a Boston Kreme Donut.  Was it good?  You bet!  Did I need it?  Nope.  But it was a wonderful treat.

So today I ventured out into the ick and spent money and you know what?

I regret nothing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh...a mani and a pedi ...that will set things right.

Fiona said...

Argh, I pick my cuticles too...they are a mess at this time of year. Love that shade of nail polish, I bought a similar one last week, not Essie though... ($$$!) It does you good to be pampered every now and then.

Vera said...

Always feels good to get a mani & pedi. Good for you. I bet that donut was Delicious!!!