24 September 2019

When Fast Fashion Becomes Slow Fashion

In the past few years, there has been a lot of writing about fast fashion, and the problems behind it.  Things like sweatshop-like conditions of the workers, the fact that so much is discarded so easily by consumers who are no longer interested because it's no longer trendy, etc.


I will admit that if you looked in my closet (and please don't it's a mess right now), you'd see some fast fashion items there.  Like most people, I love a bargain, and I'm also a sucker for certain things, so when the combination hits, and I have funds, I'll buy it.  I will admit here that 99% of the time, I don't absolutely need it. 

Having said that, I did learn a while back that with things like clothing, shoes, coats, etc., the adage "you get what you pay for" is very often true.  Which is why, when I am able to do so, I will make an investment purchase (hopefully on sale, but not always), because I know the item will be a) something I will wear repeatedly, and b) something that is made well-enough to last more than one season/year/vacation/whatever. 


But truth be told, I also always wear just about whatever I own to death.  And in some cases, well beyond said death (hello, torn and frayed jeans that are just perfect for walking the dog at 5 a.m.). 

Recently, I've come across a video podcast, called What Kate Finds.  Kate is a young woman with young children who lives in Michigan, who apparently used to buy things all the time, like crazy.  I have not watched every single episode, so I am not completely sure what started her plan, but for the year 2019, she is doing a "5 buys" every month.  Basically she set down some rules/goals for herself and each month she allows herself to buy only 5 things (clothing, accessories, etc.).  She then does a review at the end of each month.  It's been interesting to watch, and also interesting to hear her say how it has changed her.  In that she has realized that she doesn't need to buy everything she likes just because she likes it, and also that it's important to realize where things come from, who makes them, etc.

In one episode, she said something that really resonated with me.  She had used one of her "5 buys" for a shirt from H&M.  She acknowledged that it was fast fashion.  But then she pointed out that a lot of things in her wardrobe that could be considered fast fashion turn out in fact to be slow fashion - in that she will keep it and wear it for longer than it is probably even intended to be worn.

Which made me think - no, it's not the exact same thing, but a lot of my fast fashion purchases have turned into slow fashion as well.  I have summer t-shirts that I've had for longer than five years, I have a few dresses that are easily 10+ years, and on and on.  I will admit that I probably didn't give much thought to how they were made, where they were made, where the materials originated, etc., but after listening to her podcast, I have to say that I feel a bit better about having them.  They may have been made and purchased NOT to last, but they have lasted for me longer than their intended lives.  I know - it's still fast fashion, but at least I haven't already tossed the stuff aside because why would I wear something I wore last year?

This is a topic that really interests me.  If it interests you as well, one of the people who writes in an understandable and approachable way about it frequently is Sophie Benson.

Financial necessity required me to buy things that were cheap for most of my life.  But I got used to taking care of things so that I could get every last bit of use/wear out of them. 

It's worth putting some things into perspective, or you can get into a vicious circle and even make yourself feel incredibly guilty.  I'm glad that Kate mentioned this in her podcast, or I'm not sure I would have ever gotten there myself.  Do what you can, and you'll be fine.  Each person needs to be responsible for themselves first.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I love this post. Some of my very fast fashion finds have lasted me years and years. Some of my costly buys have not even been worn once. I try to not buy on a whim, but sometimes I do.