02 February 2013

Laura Mercier 'Faux Lash' Mascara Review

Well, January really sucked for me, since I was sick for more than half of it.  And really sick, like the kind where you can't even drag yourself out of bed.  I'm on the road to recovery, and hopefully my energy levels will kick in soon.

In the meantime, I had a review I wanted to write about a mascara I tried, but I didn't even feel good enough to do that until now.  But better late than never, right?

Last fall, I read reviews on some other blogs about a new product, Laura Mercier "Faux Lash" Mascara.  They were pretty favorable, and I love mascara, so I thought it might be worth a try.  I don't use a lot of Laura Mercier products, but have generally been happy with any I have tried.  So I plunked down the $24.00 at a local Nordstrom to give it a try.


I will admit to being a little bit picky when it comes to mascara.  In general, I don't like the waterproof type.  I like it to go on easily, so that I don't have to keep reapplying to get decent coverage.  I like the ones that do not smear.  Not really drastic expectations, in my opinion, but I've tried quite a few that have disappointed me.

I would say for the first month, this mascara was lovely.  It not only was easy to use, but a little bit went a long way, and it did make my lashes look nice and full, without looking like I had put fuzzy spiders over my eyes.  I was pretty pleased.  But as time went on, it kept getting thicker in the tube, and when I'd pull the applicator out of the tube, the brush would have clumps  on it.  Big ones.  And they were hard to get rid of, before or after I'd put on the mascara.  I am a conscientious consumer with my makeup, always being sure to close caps securely, etc., so it wasn't a case of it changing texture and formula due to my carelessness.

I had such high hopes and after about six weeks, just gave up.  I am willing to accept that at the end of a life span (~3 months for mascara), a product might be different, since it's been used so frequently, and you may be near the end of the tube.  But for the price, I thought this product was not worth it.

I may consider trying it again sometime, in case they fool with the formula, but I can guarantee it won't be anytime soon.  As much as I wanted to like this, I have to give it a big thumbs down.

No comments: