06 October 2021

In Which I Have Plans ... But Have Not Gotten Started

In my continued attempts to make small changes to my/our lifestyle that will keep us from using so many disposable products, I have decided - at least 6 months ago, if not more - that since I do a lot of knitting, and have a lot of leftover bits of yarn, that I should knit some reusable makeup remover pads.  This plan led me to a further plan - knit a few and gift them to my nieces for Christmas, along with a mini-size makeup remover product.  Good idea, right?

I have the yarn - even some leftover cotton yarn, which would be good and sturdy for this kind of thing.  I have the needles I need.  I don't feel like I need a specific pattern necessarily, but I did look to see if there were patterns and there are quite a few.  I have even identified the mini-size makeup remover I plan to buy, one at a time after each payday in our family.  So I'm all set to go, right?

Yes, I'm all set to go.  I *have* been all set to go.  So why I am not going, so to speak???

Excuse #1: There were a couple of projects that I really wanted to finish before I got started.  Fact: They are finished as of last week.

Excuse #2:  I have plenty of time.  Fact:  I had plenty of time when I first thought of this.  Now we are in to October, and as we all know, once October hits, the holidays are suddenly right on top of us.

Excuse #3:  Laziness.  Fact:  I am lazy.  I really want to make them, I do.  But I am lazy.

Solution:  START.  Often if I just simply get started, that's all I need to continue.  I am certain that if I made even just one pad, I would be inspired to continue, because I will actually get almost immediate gratification making these, because they are so small.  And I do love me some immediate gratification, especially with my knitting!

Look at these - this is pretty much exactly what I'm thinking about!


Small, with whatever colors I have available.  Since it will all be leftover yarn, the cost of this part of the gift will be only my time, and these will take no time at all.

Whereas, if I ordered them where I found the photo, I would have to pay for them, probably pay for shipping and taxes, and then hope they arrived in a reasonable amount of time, which in our current postal climate in the U.S. (why is Louis DeJoy still in charge of the Post Office???), could mean anywhere between 2 days and 10 months.

Result:  Now that I have put this out into the cyber universe, I have a responsiblity to be true to my plan and also complete it.  This coming weekend is a three-day weekend (for Columbus Day, now Indigenous Peoples' Day for us), and what better time to start?  Heck, I may even make all of the ones I was hoping by the end of three days!  

And so, in my next post, I hope to show you my progress on the whole makeup remover pads gift idea.  I am determined to have at least two to show you. 

Stay tuned ... 😊

4 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I had no idea you had another blog! More to read yay!

Araignee said...

That is a cute idea but I am going to warn you that no matter how early you start your gift knitting you never get done. I've been gift knitting all year and I am still in a panic that I won't get finished in time. I think I just may have a screw loose.

Dee said...

That is a really cute idea.

Get knitting! Christmas is right around the corner, you know.

Bonny said...

I think your idea is wonderful, and I appreciate your list of excuses. I've used many of them quite often, and then there is "it's just a few rows of knitting; I can whip these out in no time." I hope you do get to finish a bunch of them over the long Indigenous Peoples' Day. Please set a good example for the rest of us!