12 September 2021

Accomplishing Goals, Slowly

In my last post (yeah, longer ago than I meant to be, sorry!), I talked about my efforts to start exercising regularly, and how I'm keeping track of my weight and my workouts.  

My aim is to be more fit and healthier.  I'm not obsessing about my weight, though at my July appt with a cardiologist, he suggested that if I dropped a few pounds, it would be a help to my heart.  So I had a little bit of an extra push in that department.  Anyway, as I mentioned in that post, I know that my efforts are paying off because my clothes are fitting better for one thing, and I've been able to do a bit more in my exercising.  

So this morning when I weighed myself, I was happily surprised to see that I had lost three pounds.


This made me happy, since I felt that it meant that I was losing some weight but not losing too much too fast.  Which every doctor and every reputable health-advisor-type person will tell you is the thing to do.  

The other thing that makes this good news is that seeing and feeling these results has made me more committed to keeping myself on track.  And apparently in my case, making note of my weigh ins and workouts is the way to go for keeping me on course.

I'm posting about this, because it proves that you don't need to do elaborate things to be healthier.  My workouts are not all hardcore, believe me!  But what they are is MOVEMENT.  

Now - the week after this one, we have to return to work 5 days a week in our building.  This is going to really cramp my style, I must say.  You might say, well, Bridget, just get up earlier every day to exercise.  That means I would have to get up earlier than I already do, which is 4:45 a.m. during the week when I'm working.  So, I don't really want to do that.  

I do walk back and forth to work every day, but I think that after a while, my body just counts that as normal movement, not extra.  So at least at first, that will be helpful.  Also, on nice days, I plan to ride my bicycle back and forth, so that will move some different muscles.  If I can find the energy to do so, I can always do some of my lighter exercise routines in the evenings.  But I think I might need to up my weekend activity, to keep going as well as I can.

I have this week to figure out a "trial" schedule, so we'll see what happens.  I would like to stay friends with the scale.

(Spoiler alert - not me. Not even close. For one thing, this woman is too dressed up to be me before or after exercising ...)

And even more importantly, I want to keep feeling good like I do now.  I have so many things in my daily life that can get me down, especially at work, and if I can keep going with my exercise, it will be a huge help both physically AND mentally!

No comments: