01 September 2012

A Fresh Start

Well, it's September 1st, and Labor Day weekend here in the U.S.  The time of year when schools are starting again, lots of people are finishing their vacations, and thoughts of fall weather and cooler days are welcome.  Well, they are welcome to me, at least - I do not like hot weather and/or humidity, so I am one of the few people in the universe who is not sad when summer winds down.

But, why another blog, when I have a perfectly nice one already?  Well, this one will have a different slant, so to speak.  There are several things going on with me, and I have decided to start things anew today.  This blog will be where I can talk about health, exercise, fitness, aging, and beauty.  At least as I see it.

Years back, in the course of 18 months, I had several major surgeries and spent a year afterwards going to physical therapy and exercising regularly. My recovery time was greatly helped by this.  And I felt better, looked better, and was probably healthier than I'd ever been.  After the physical therapy ended, I joined a gym, and would go at least twice a week, as well as exercising every morning after I got up for about half an hour, 4-5 days a week.

After a couple of years, the gym raised their fees to where I couldn't afford it anymore.  I hurt my knee pretty seriously, and was out of commission for a few months.  And, well, after that, I just never caught back up to myself.

In the past year, I've had pneumonia twice, torn a ligament in my foot and had to wear a brace, and lost and gained approximately the same 5-6 pounds several times.  I feel like a slug.

So today is the day to say NO MORE OF THIS!  Time to get myself back on track, and make myself accountable to myself.  That's one of the things I'm hoping this blog will do for me - give me a place to record the highs and the lows.

In late October, we are going on a vacation for about a week to Ireland. I.Cannot.Wait.  But I am determined to be in better physical and mental shape, on my way to my healthy self, by the time we go.  It's doable, and I know I can do it.

I hope you'll join me, as a reader here, and/or as a fellow fresh-starter.  Look at it this way - everyone makes a fresh start on January 1st - we'll just be slightly ahead of them already!

Next up - one of my short-term fitness goals revealed ...

No comments: